The forest and the forest terminals...

The forest 

Forest of Chantilly is a forest of 6,344 hectares. It extends far beyond the city of Chantilly, to the southern of the Oise River and to the north of the Oise Valley. Form with the forest of Halatte and the forest of Ermenonville, the “massif de trois forêts” (19,000 ha).
It is part of the Domaine de Chantilly and as such belongs to the Institute of France. It is managed by the ONF (National Forestry Office) in an ecological forest management plan considering the landscape, ecological issues, heritage and tourism in the forest.

The forest is gradually built through acquisitions and successive developments of the lords of Chantilly, after the Orgemont in the middle Ages, to the Duke of Aumale in the 19th century, motivated by the practice of hunting and hunting with dogs. Emblazoned terminals of Anne de Montmorency, the Mesa Intersection and forest roads remind interventions princes and make the forest even today. The forest is now a place to walk, a place to hunt, horse training, horse riding and logging area. The challenge today of this forest is to make these uses and users coexist.

The forest is part of the Regional Natural Park Oise PNR-Pays-de-France, that looks at constant regarding the fauna, flora and biodiversity (multiple sites belongs to the Natura 2000 network). The forest consists mainly of 48% oak, Scots pine 12% and beech 9%, but also linden trees symbolic of Chantilly.

The upper parts of the forest 

Les Côtes d'Orléans et le Pain de sucre are the highest parts in the wildest forest areas (respectively 122 and 109 m) and are located in the city of Coye la Forêt.

Forest Terminals

It was between 1537 and 1546 that more terminals are placed in the forest to mark ownership of Montmorency neighboring religious institutions. Eight of these terminals were transported around the statue of the Connétable in the terrace of the castle in the 19th century.

Ponds of Comelles

Comelles ponds with an area of 30.96 hectares, occupying the valley of Thève. They are built like tanks for fish from 1204 to 1208 by the monks of the Abbey of Chaalis. They consist of four separate ponds: Comelles pond partly occupied by an island covered with roses, to the east Chapron pond, Neuf pond and the Neuve de la Loge pond (the largest, 9.95 has) There used to be a fifth pond named Troublerie located behind the castle of the White Queen, which was drained in the 17th century and became a swamp. Ponds no longer serve as a breeding ground, but are still equipped for fishing: there are many freshwater fish.

The 8 Rows Pathway, The Le Nôtre alley

In 1662, Le Nôtre, great gardener creates a majestic view, crossing the Great Park and the Route du Connétable. Today consists of two known elements Lion's Track and the 8 Rows Pathway, remains one of the most impressive roads, crossing the Domaine de Chantilly on both sides.
If the Lion's Track is now a track for horse training, The 8 Rows Pathway (in the municipality of Saint-Firmin Vineuil) is a beautiful historic walk.
This avenue, was originally 66 feet wide (21,44m) in the middle.  Le Vertugadin offers a view of the strip and the castle.

The Montgrésin Table

Montgrésin Table is made of stone dates from 1669 - 1670 when the work was conducted in the forest according to the plans of André Le Nôtre. This is prime hunting ground, the traditional place for the start of the crew of the princes of Condé and his successors and place of slaughter. It is also the place where they received their illustrious guests at the entrance of Domaine, as in 1671, when the Grand Condé Louis XIV receives. This table is registered as a historical monument in 1970. The table is in the city limits of Saint- Avilly Léonard- amid the roundabout on the road between Chantilly and La Chapelle-en-Serval.

The Apremont Table

The Apremont Table  (historical monument since 1988) is another hunting site, created in the 18th century, situated between the towns of Apremont and Vineuil-Saint-Firmin, at the junction between Le Bois du Lieutenant and bois de la Basse Pommeraie. It is the meeting point of eight forest roads.