The Domaine de Chantilly

The Domaine of Chantilly is an exceptional site consists mainly of the Castle, Great stables and racecourse situated in forest over 6000 hectares.

The castle

The human presence at the site of Chantilly has been manifested since ancient times, but it is not until the middle Ages that the first castle was built by the Boutellier, lords of Senlis.
In 1560 Anne de Montmorency, a great figure of the Renaissance, adds to the medieval castle a building called "Petit Chateau" in the architectural style of the Renaissance. This building is still in place. Chantilly fields become the favorite hunting ground of the princes and kings of France.
In 1632 Louis XIII confiscates the field of Montmorency. In 1643, Anne of Austria returns Chantilly to the Princess of Condé, sister of Henri II de Montmorency, mother of the "Great Condé." This latter will transform Chantilly 1660-1686 beautifying the park and in order to do this calls André Le Nôtre, big gardener of the time (Big Canal, Manse Pavilion, fonts ...).
In 1799, with the Revolution, the Grand Chateau is destroyed, but not entirely. The Duke of Aumale, heir to the Condé, does rebuilding it between 1875 and 1885 and at his death bequeathed to the Institute de France in 1886, the entire Domaine de Chantilly.

The castle houses the Condé Museum since then, which has the second largest collection after the Louvre, of masterpieces by French and Italian schools, as well as collections of rare books.

The Great Stables

In the 18th century, the great grandson of the Grand Condé, Duke of Bourbon, built the Great Stables.
Unique in the world, the stables were built by the architect Jean Aubert, brilliant student of Hardouin-Mansart.
The stables were hosting 240 horses and 150 dogs split into different groups to hunt Louis Le Prince, proud of this architecture, use to organize sumptuous dinners under the monumental dome 28 meters high. Louis XV, the future Tsar Paul I and Frederick II of Prussia dined here, accompanied by hunting horns. 

In the French Revolution, the Great Stables are miraculously saved because of the army which occupied.

The Great Stables are now home to the Museum of the Horse, which features more than 200 objects and objects of art related to the horse and its history. Demonstrations of horse training and shows add greatly to the reputation of Chantilly, the horse capital.

The park & the gardens

Chantilly also offers the opportunity to take a walk through the extensive park of 115 acres, designed by Le Nôtre for the Grand Condé at the end of the 17th century. In the classical perspectives of the Grand Canal, its cascade and French parterres, Anglo-Chinese garden is added, about five houses built by the Prince of Condé in 1775, sources of Beauvais, and romantic curves of the English Garden with the Love Island and the Temple of Venus.

The Foundation for the Development and Protection of the Domaine

All the Domaine de Chantilly is currently owned by the Institute of France, from the donation made in 1886 by one of its members, the Duke of Aumale, trying to avoid the dispersion of its rich collections.
In 2005, the Institute of France signed a cooperation agreement with the Foundation for the Protection and Development of the Domain of Chantilly, created by His Highness the Aga Khan; ensuring the restoration, management and development.
The Foundation wants to ensure sustainability, ensuring their economic and environmental development, placing it on the international cultural landscape. It is carried out in strict compliance with the terms of the legacy of the Duke of Aumale.

Since its inception, the Foundation carried out an extensive program of renovation and restoration.
These projects are funded for the next ten years, a public / private partnership where can intervene the state, the region of Picardie, the Department of Oise, His Highness the Aga Khan, the Institute of France, but also sponsors as Friends of Condé Museum, the American Friends of Chantilly, the Randstad Institute or Panhard Development group.