The Pavillon de Manse

 

At the edges of the Nonette, in the heart of Chantilly, the Pavillon de Manse was built in the late 17th century in 1678 by Prince Condé and transformed in the 19th century by the Duke of Aumale.

The mill of the Prince of Condé.

In the 17th century, when the city does not exist yet, a beautiful park designed by Le Nôtre spread along the valley. To the west, ended with the Pavillon de Manse (named for the hydraulic engineer, Jacques de Manse, designer of the "machine") Jacques de Manse, built to house a hydraulic machine of wood. Its purpose was to bring water from a well to an open deposit, today in front of the race track, and from there distributed to ponds, waterfalls and fountains that used to adorn the garden "des Grandes Beaux".

The mill of the Duke of Aumale.

Attached to the mill of the prince, his main function was to contain, in 1846, a pendulum bombe replacing the large machine of Manse. "In 1876 a more modern pumping station was added, intended to supply drinking water to the castle and the city. A little later, the Duke of Aumale, install a laundry, the most modern of the time.

Owned by the Institute de France, the Pavilion is now run by the "Association Jacques de Manse Pavilion -. APJM"

Canals

At the heart of Chantilly, a complex network of canals is found. The Grand Canal, the St. John canal, the machine and the Manse canals reminds us about the hydraulic system designed by Le Nôtre and engineer Jacques Manse to supply water to the castle gardens. The edges of the current canals are a beautiful place to take a walk in the heart of a green atmosphere.

 Pavillon de Manse : http://www.pavillondemanse.com/